Have you ever left a church service and felt “I didn’t get anything out of that.”? I think we all have. It’s bad when the pastor says that…haha. Now, have you ever left a church service feeling that way AND heard someone else say, “Wow! That was awesome. I really met with God.”? That’s a real eye opener.
I recently spoke to someone who said when they heard the excitement other people had they began looking at themself. When they heard there were people saved, baptised and set free and they didn’t feel excitement, the knew it was them. So how do adjust ourselves to get the most out of a worship experience and keep ourselves from growing indifferent? Here’s 10 ways to enhance our worship experience.
1. Come Expecting a Good Service – As James taught us (James 1:6-7), we need to expect God to answer us. This simple step many times bring the change in attitude we need.
2. Minimize Distractions – If there is a person who is always chatty near you, move. I actually started sitting towards the front because I am visually distracted by people.
3. Change Your Routine – Sit in a different seat, serve as an usher, walk up front during worship (if your church culture allows that), visit a different church one Sunday, (Pastors don’t em-mail me it’s alright really.) whatever it takes for some variety.
4. Hang Around After Service and Talk – You’ll be surprised how much chatting with some people for ten minutes will brighten your day.
5. Come Early – If your church has a place or time to pray do it, if not hang in the lobby and chat. Bring an extra coffee and surprise someone with it. Force yourself to be social.
6. Greet a New Person – Remember the first time you came to church? Help someone else to not feel nervous. Say hello. Ask them if you can answer any questions for them.
7. Serve – Nothing adds the meaning of a worship experience like knowing you had a part in it being put together. When someone reaches for the tissues you put there, it more than just blowing their nose. They aren’t distracted loking for tissues so they heard the message and accepted Jesus for the first time as Savior. Guess what? You had a part in their escaping from hell.
8. Take Notes – We only remember 10% of what we hear but when we write it the % doubles. If we review the notes later it triples. It’s the eternal word of God, don’t treat it as common or unimportant.
9. Invite an Unchurched Friend – Nothing is more meaningful than seeing your church or even God through someone else’s eyes. If that person meets the Lord and their life changes, it will be your best worship experience ever.
10. Experience God BEFORE the Service – Most Christians that don’t get anything out of the worship experience aren’t experiencing God during the week either. I don’t know why but it’s like a cup that is being filled all week, smaller drops make it over flow.
Get to the church early and pray. Ask God to meet with you. Ask Him to forgive you sins, forgive others who sinned against you that week. Then give Him you issues, any distracting things and you’ll be ready.
Do these 10 things I guarentee you’ll have a meaningful and fulfilling worship experience!