We just returned from an eventful trip to Los Angeles, CA. I took my wonderful daughter Moriah to check out a challenging college program at the Dream Center called ‘The Movement’ but that’s not what this blog is about.
Have you ever noticed that experienced travelers travel light? You don’t hear them say, “I should have brought more.” No they have only brought the necessities. Experiences travelers realize that there is a cost for ever bag and a weight limit also. It’s the same way in this journey we call life. We don’t need heavy baggage slowing us down, delaying us from getting to where we want go.
When someone has 30 Days to Live, they readily drop the heavy bags as they prepare to depart for their final destination. The emotional and spiritual baggage holds us back from living for the eternal. Take ONLY the things that help you get to heaven. Those essentials are the people, things and decisions that equip you to face the challenges ahead or push farther on your journey. You want to leave behind the people, things and decisions that slow you down, offer no return on investment or even harm you. How do you know what or who to take with you and what/who leave behind?
Three E’s to Take
- Energize – Keep the things that motive you or foster an atmosphere of creativity, people that are enthusiastic for life, and then renew your energy by doing things that refresh you.
- Excite – Keep the things that make you happy even if they seem silly or sentimental to others. You know that special someone who makes your heart skip a beat or that friend you can’t think about without smiling? Spend more time with them. Do what you are passionate about. Why waste your time in a career you hate?
- Empower – I know…it’s an annoying word but educate didn’t seem to cover it fully. Keep thing that challenge and teach you. Spend time with people who are willing to share their knowledge, experience, and skills and THEN challenge you to go farther with that knowledge. Take the actions that will catapult you further in your relationship with the Lord and others or in your career.
Three D’s to Leave Behind
- Drains – You know what they are. Those things, people and actions that when you are done with them make you feel like a video game warrior who has taken too many body blows and whose life force is depleted. Don’t let them suck the life out of you until it’s gone!
- Depleters – Things, people, and action that aren’t necessarily hurting you but they don’t help either. These are the time wasters that deplete your resources (time, talent and treasure) without giving a return-on-investment. You only have so many resources to give, put them where there is the greatest return.
- Destroyers – These are the things, people and actions/decisions that can damage us physically, spiritually, emotionally, financially or in our reputation. There isn’t much to say, run away!
I know some of my faithful readers are thinking, “Can you be more specific?” No, I can’t. These lists are very personal and yours are yours, mine are mine. What energizes you may deplete me and visa-versa. If you will honestly evaluate the three E’s and 3 D’s for yourself you make great leaps towards the person you want to be.
Dear Jesus help me to travel light. Help me to take with me things and people and make decisions that energize, excite and empower me. Help me to make the hard decision to walk away from the things, people and actions that drain, deplete or destroy me. I thank you for giving me the ability to make these changes in my life to become the person you created me to be.
- Am I happy? If not, what are the Three D’s I need to remove?
- Am I productive? If nor, what can I do to better leverage the Three E’s?
- Dump one D and begin one E this week.